By Swami Sivananda
1. There is an Atman or soul independent of body and mind. This soul is immortal, unchanging and infinite. Realise this Atman and be free.
2. This Atman is Satchidananda (Existence-Absolute, Consciousness-Absolute, Bliss-Absolute). It exists in the past, present and future. So it is Sat. It is pure or Absolute Consciousness without any thought. So it is Chit. It is absolute Bliss. So it is Ananda.
3. The unreal body perishes, but the Atman or the indweller is Immortal. So, you should not grieve when anyone dies. In essence everyone is Immortal Atman.
4. This Atman cannot be hurt by anyone. It is subtle, all-pervading. It is the Innermost Self of all.
5. This Atman is birthless, deathless, changeless. When the body is killed, He is not killed. Therefore grieve not, lament not, regret not. Be always cheerful.
6. Fire cannot burn this Atman, sword cannot pierce this Atman, bomb cannot destroy this Atman, machine-guns cannot kill this Atman.
7. This Atman is eternal, immovable, secondless, self-existent, self-centred. Therefore, knowing this to be such, thou shouldst not grieve, when your father, mother, son, wife or relative dies.
8. This perishable body will certainly pass away. Indweller can never perish. Thou art the immortal soul. Therefore, over the inevitable thou shalt not grieve.
9. Brahman or Atman (Consciousness) is beyond the reach of the mind and speech. He is beyond logic, reason, mental process, science. He must be realized through meditation.
10. You cannot deny or doubt your existence. You always feel that you exist. This existence is Atman or your own Self. The knower of the doubt or denier always exists. That knower is your own Atman.
11. In dream you are distinct from the physical body. In deep sleep, you are distinct from the body and the mind. You enjoy peace and bliss in deep sleep. This proves that you are neither body nor mind, but you are All-Blissful Soul.
12. There is only one Reality or Truth. That is Brahman or Atman. All appearances are unreal. They are the effects of Maya, the illusory power of Brahman.
13. Behold the one Immortal Atman in all names and forms. This alone is correct perception.
14. Ignorance is the cause for pain and sorrow. Annihilate this ignorance through Knowledge of the Self (Brahma Jnana). All miseries will come to an end.
15. This Atman is beyond time, space, causation. Time, space, causation are mental creation.
16. Just as snake is superimposed on the rope, this world, and the body are superimposed on Brahman.
17. Bring a light, the snake vanishes; rope alone remains. Attain Illumination, this world and this body vanish. Atman alone remains. That Atman thou art (Tat Tvam Asi).
18. I-ness and mine-ness, agency and enjoyership bind you to the Samsara. Destroy these notions. Identify yourself with the Atman which is non-doer, non-enjoyer. You will attain Immortality and eternal Bliss.
19. Sensual pleasure is only pain. It is momentary mental excitement, momentary sensation of flesh, momentary itching and scratching of the senses. You can have eternal bliss in your own Inner Atman alone.
20. Enquire ‘Who am I?’ Deny or sublate the limiting adjuncts (body, mind, etc.); know the Self and be free.
21. Constantly think of the Immortal, all-pervading Atman. Give up thinking of body. You will attain Self-realization.
22. You are ever free. You are already free. Freedom (Moksha) is not a thing to be attained. You will have to know that you are Atman, that you are free.
23. Destroy the subtle desires (Vasanas), and cravings (Trishnas). This will lead to the annihilation of the mind. Destruction of the mind will lead to the attainment of wisdom of the Self (Brahma Jnana).
24. This world is illusory. Brahman alone is real. You are identical with Brahman. Realise this and be free.
25. The liberated sage is ever blissful. He rests in his own Satchidananda Svaroopa. He is free from egoism, lust, hatred, greed, anger and the pairs of opposites. He has equal vision and balanced mind. He is Brahman Himself.
26. OM is the symbol of Brahman. OM is your real name. Meditate on Om with feeling (Bhava) and its meaning. You will attain Self-realisation.
27. “I am the All-pervading, Immortal Soul. I am Pure Consciousness. I am Satchidananda Svaroopa (Existence-Absolute, Consciousness-Absolute, Bliss-Absolute). I am witness (Sakshi.)”—These are the formulas for constant meditation and assertion.
28. Equip yourself with the Four Means. Hear the Srutis (sacred texts), reflect and meditate. You will attain Self-realisation.
29. Thou art not this perishable body. Thou art not this changing mind. Thou art all-pervading, immortal, infinite, changeless Soul or Atman. Realise this and roam about happily.
30. Watch the breath. It sings Soham, ‘So’ during inhalation and ‘Ham’, during exhalation. It reminds you ‘I am He’. Meditate on ‘Soham’ and attain Self-realisation.
31. ‘I am body. I act. I enjoy. She is my wife. He is my son. This is mine.’—This is bondage. ‘I am Immortal Soul. I am non-actor, non-enjoyer. She is my soul. Nothing is mine.’—This is freedom.
Peace love harmony